Manufactured by Louisville Slugger, the 2018 SOLO 618 (-3) BBCOR Baseball Bat is an all alloy hybrid bat. It comes with a Ballistic Composite Endcap, which results in Louisville Slugger referring to it as a hybrid. Combined with the SL Hyper aluminum material it delivers increased swing speed with a highly balanced swing weight score of (1.1), the best in the 2018 Line up. The HL Hyper alloy also creates stiffness in the barrel for increased energy transfer ensuring further ball flight.
This bat has the fastest swing speed and is the perfect baseball bat for players who are interested in fast balls. It has a newly designed handle for dampening vibration keeping your hand safe from the negative vibrations caused by mishits. For better hand comfort, the 2018 solo 618 (-3) has a lizard skins Baseball Bat grip that is wrapped around the handle.
The bat features a -3 bat to weight ratio and has a 2 5/8-inch diameter and a BBCOR Certification, as well as a 12-month warranty. Other features include;
- Anti-Vibration handle that helps to reduce the sting on mishits.
- Comes in different colors which include white, red, blue, black and gray
- Best balanced swing weight score of 1.1
- Aluminum alloy bat.
- Speed Ballistic Composite End Cap that increases the length of the sweet spot.
- Lizard Skins Custom Baseball Bat Grip for maximum hand comfort.
- 12-month Manufacturer warranty
- SL Hyper alloy for increased energy transfer during hits for maximum ball flight.
- -3 Length to Weight ratio.
Being an alloy bat, the 2018 Solo 618 (-3) BBCOR Baseball Bat obviously comes will all the advantages associated with any standard baseball bat. These include their general inexpensive costs, greater durability as compared to composite bats, no break-in time and can be used when damaged simply due to the fact that they normally dent while composite bats crack.
The only major downside that I seem to find is the smaller sweet spot. That, however, does not seem to affect the performance of this brilliant bat from Louisville Slugger.
When selecting your bat, a few things should run through your mind to help you make the best choice.
- The length of the bat. This will allow you to have a longer reach making it possible to increase the range at which you can hit the ball.
- The weight of the bat. This will depend on your own body size and preference. Larger individuals tend to prefer heavier bats for maximum power while smaller ones prefer light weight bats that allow for faster swing speeds. It is advisable to try out a number of different bats to determine which one is best for you.
- League. Generally, all leagues have their own standards and Baseball bat requirements. Depending on which league you are playing in, you will need to check their requirements and choose within a rang e that is acceptable.
- The diameter of the Barrel. The standard size for youth under 12 years old is 2 ¼ inch barrel diameter while college and High School are allowed up to a maximum size of 2 5/8 inches of barrel diameter.